Notes: -this is a review of the BL game, not the anime. -there are potential spoilers
in this review. Be aware.
DRAMAtical Murder (DMMD)
was a wild ride, simply put.
The story focuses on 23-year old Aoba Seragaki, an average person who inadvertently becomes involved with the mysterious group known as Morphine. His initial intent to assist his good friend Mizuki turns around when he gets caught in Morphine-related affairs that lead him to discovering more about his forgotten past, as well as his "other" self.
Aoba learns about the plans of the evil Toue, who's ultimate goal is to brainwash the entire island of Midorijima and control everyone's minds. Assisted by his loyal Allmate, Ren, he decided to stop Toue's plan. In order to plan against Morphine and Toue, he forms a group consisting of:
Koujaku- Aoba's childhood friend who has a hidden past. Leads the Rib group Benishigure. His Allmate is Beni. Noiz- Undefeated Rhyme player and also a skilled hacker. Leads the Rhyme team Ruff Rabbit. His Allmate is Usagimodoki. Clear- Odd yet jubilant person wearing a gas mask, concealing his face. No associations are known. Mink- An escaped convict with a disturbing past. Leads a group of convicts called Scratch. His Allmate is Tori.
One of the key items that stood out in DMMD was the soundtrack. DMMD had some of the most amazing soundtrack I've heard. From the BGM to the ending songs, it was always so entertaining to listen to.
GOATBED did a fantastic job producing most of the songs. Artists such as Ito Kanako and Seizi Kimura were featured, which were very lovely to hear. Each song produced fit the feeling of each situation in-game nicely. My favourite song was "Immer Sie," which was featured in Clear's bad ending.
The voice acting was on point. You can clearly hear the effort the Seiyuus put into making the characters sound amazing. The emotion is very evident in feels scenes. And they did pretty damn good in the BL scenes.
Noiz's moans were heaven
The artwork in DMMD is another stand-out. Characters were designed beautifully, with each one having a distinct and interesting look to them. It was nice to see such well-drawn characters.
Now, let's move to the BL scenes. Each one is drawn with so much detail. The character's faces are shown with so much emotion and the proportions are on point. Also, no Yaoi hands, so yay.
- Absolutely adored. I was able to sympathise with him at so many points in the story. He had the biggest impact on all of the characters' lives. He was cute and he had a great sense of humour.
- I liked him a lot. He wasn't my favourite, but damn was he hot. On a more serious note, the revealing of his past was a huge moment in the story. I thought he developed very well as a character. When he went batshiz crazy, I went nuts. Also, he and Aoba were the cutest kids. Oh my god.
- My absolute favourite. He had a badass look to him, which caught my eye. Although his personality was a bit oblique at first, he had the BEST character development in the game. Once Aoba was able to learn about Noiz and what he had suffered through, and why he hates the world so much, it made me want to hold Noiz and tell him everything was alright. Noiz growing to accept and genuinely love Aoba was a big turning point in his character.
- My precious son. He did nothing wrong! By far the most innocent and the most pure character. He also had the saddest route, in my opinion. Watching what happened to him over time made me weak. By the end of his route, I was bawling. Clear was too adorable and sweet. I loved every single bit of him.
- My least favourite. Sadly, this is where my stars drop. Mink was an abusive, cold-hearted, rapist. He didn't care for Aoba's well-being. He raped Aoba three
times in his route. He physically abused Aoba- choking, beating, just simply manhandling him. And it's disgusting. And it made me so uncomfortable. He had a really bad past, but that's NEVER an excuse to being an abuser and a rapist.
- Ren was a very interesting character. Taking the body of the Allmate in order to have physical contact with Aoba, he is revealed to have been another "being" inside Aoba's mind. He was Aoba's sanity, his wisdom. And he loved Aoba so, so much. Ren was sweet and loving, which made him a great character.
DMMD was a very fun BL game. With an intriguing story, unique characters, and a kickass soundtrack made the experience very fun. The character development was OUTSTANDING, which highly ups my rating.
However, with the content of rape and abuse, my final rating drops. Rape is never tolerated in my view, not even in fictional stories like DMMD. It wasn't sexy, it was disturbing and disgusting. I was so mad at times to where I was fuming.
Overall, I enjoyed DMMD. I had the best experience in Noiz's route. Mink's route and the Virus/Trip ending were bad experiences, which is why I lowered my grade.
I give DRAMAtical Murder a 7/10. Would play again. not Mink's route though. lol